The lolly log cake, also called the lolly cake, is a classic confectionery treat in New Zealand. It primarily features lollies as the main ingredient, and is adored by children and adults alike. This colorful fruit puff cake dates back to first becoming popular in New Zealand households in the 1940s, and was widely available in New Zealand supermarkets from the 1960s. New Zealand’s famous lolly cake is a great option to bring along when visiting friends or family, and you can easily make this scrumptious treat in just a couple of hours!
You can find the entire recipe below to try your hand at making the popular New Zealand delicacy known as the lolly log cake!
- 1 packet malt biscuit (crushed);
- 120g unsalted butter;
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk;
- 180g fruit puffs;
- ½ cup dried coconut (for icing).
- Melt the butter and condensed milk in a bowl.
- Pour the melted butter mixture on the crushed biscuits and chopped fruit puffs. Mix thoroughly until the ingredients are well combined.
- Lay out the mixture on a flat surface. Roll it up and tightly pack it in a log shape with your hands.
- Roll the lolly log in dried coconut and make sure the cake is fully covered with the topping.
- Wrap the lolly log in cling film and put it in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Take the lolly cake out of the refrigerator and cut it in 2cm thick slices.
Your delicious lolly log cake is ready to be served and enjoyed with a steaming cup of tea or coffee!