Who is Partner visa subclass 801/820 for?
The Partner visa subclass 801/820 allows residence in Australia to the partner or spouse of an Australian permanent resident, an Australian citizen, or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
How do I get Partner visa subclass 801/820?
To be granted either of the Partner visas:
- You must be married or in a de facto relationship with an Australian permanent resident, an Australian citizen, or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
- Your marriage to your spouse must be valid under Australian law, i.e. you must be 18 or older.
- You must have parental permission for your marriage if you are 16 or 17 years of age.
- You must have been in a de facto relationship for at least 12 months.
- If you are a de facto partner, you must be at least 18 years old when you apply.
- You must meet the Australian government’s health and character requirements.
- You must have repaid, or arranged to repay, any outstanding debts you might have to the Australian government.
Are there any other conditions?
- Your visa application might be considered invalid if you have had a visa refused or cancelled while in Australia.
- You must also hold a temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) and comply with all Australian laws before being granted the permanent Partner visa subclass 801/820.
How do I apply?
Obtaining the permanent Partner visa is a two-step process. First, you need to be granted a temporary Partner visa (subclass 820), after which comes the permanent Partner visa (subclass 801). You can lodge your application online. Contact eduaid for the best counsel regarding lodging your visa application.
What are the features and benefits of Partner visa subclass 801/820?
Temporary Partner visa (subclass 820):
- You can stay in Australia until you are given a decision on your permanent Partner visa (subclass 801).
- Study and work in Australia.
- You can travel to and from Australia as you wish.
- Enjoy all the benefits of Medicare, Australia’s national health scheme.
- Access up to 510 hours of English language tuition provided for free by the Adult Migrant English Program.
Permanent Partner visa (subclass 801):
- You can stay in Australia for an indefinite period.
- You can work and study in Australia.
- You can enjoy all the benefits of Medicare.
- You can receive some social security payments.
- You can sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence in Australia.
- Apply for Australian citizenship, if you are eligible.
- Freely travel to and from Australia for five years from the date your visa is granted.