Australia is rapidly becoming one of the leading destinations in the world for skilled migration.
Having a strong and stable economy, top-of-the-line medical facilities, globally renowned education system, laid-back lifestyle and world class security for residents has made Australia one of the go-to countries for skilled workers looking to elevate their careers abroad.
Almost every state in Australia is actively recruiting skilled workers from abroad to fill vacancies and shortages in the local workforce.
Keeping in line with the other Australian states, South Australia has announced an updated 2023-24 skilled migration program for skilled professionals and international graduates.
Skilled professionals in South Australia Skilled Migration
As part of the new changes, the South Australia state government has made it mandatory for all skilled migration applicants to submit a Registration of Interest (ROI) for a nomination.
Introducing the ROI process is part of the South Australia government’s drive to retain skilled migrants who are already in the state on temporary work visas.
According to the government, the ROI process will help manage strong demand from skilled applicants living and working in the state amidst limited allocations of nomination places.
Experienced workers with skills in high-demand sectors in South Australia, such as Health, Education, Trades and Construction, Natural and Physical Science, Defense and Social and Welfare Professionals, will be targeted through invitations for a state nomination for skilled migration.
The updated skilled migration program aligns South Australia with all other jurisdictions except the Northern Territory, a government spokesperson said.
In addition to retaining onshore skilled migrants, South Australia is also continuing its search for highly skilled overseas workers who can contribute to the state’s rapidly developing and critical sectors and industries.
Overseas skilled workers being targeted by the South Australian government include people who are:
- Experienced in working in the defence industry; and
- Highly skilled in the digital and critical technologies sectors.
The skilled migration process for offshore applicants will remain the same as last year, with the state government set to invite eligible candidates to apply for nomination for Australian skilled migration.
State nomination requirements for international graduates
The South Australia state government is also prioritising the retention of international graduates and temporary skilled migrants in the state.
International graduates can apply for state nominations from the South Australian government for two visas: the Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190) or the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491).
Applicants will need to:
- Ensure their occupation is listed on the Skilled Occupation List for state nomination under the South Australian Graduates stream and meet the specific requirements for that occupation;
- Ensure they meet all the requirements of their intended visa pathway and are eligible for the nomination stream;
- Be living and working in Australia;
- Be less than 45 years of age at the time the state nomination is approved;
- Have a positive skills assessment for the nominated occupation;
- Have competent English abilities;
- Score a minimum of 65 points in the Department of Home Affairs’ points test (including state nomination points);
- Have been residing in South Australia for at least the previous 12 months;
- Have skilled work experience post-graduation;
- Have been working for the last six months and be currently employed in a full-time job. This job must be related to the nominated occupation and have the same skill level.
Successful international graduate applicants will then be nominated by the South Australian state government for skilled migration to Australia.
eduaid can help you apply for skilled migration to Australia!
If you are seriously considering applying for skilled migration to Australia, you should get in touch with eduaid! We are registered immigration consultants under the Australian federal government’s Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) and specialise in skilled migration to Australia.
From preparing your documents to lodging a successful application for Australian skilled migration – our team of dedicated Australian migration consultants and lawyers will be with you every step of the way!
Visit our offices, give us a call or send us an email to get a head start in your quest for Australian PR!